Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recipes Are Guidelines

I come from a family of foodies. We enjoy cooking, eating, and sharing what we like. A couple of years ago one of my favorite sisters (I have two and both are favorites) sent me a recipe which I promptly made, loved, and tweaked. I have made many variations and all are worth repeating! There is orzo, a small pasta shaped sort of like rice. There is a nice variety of vegetables. There is cheese and there is a delightful light dressing which brings it all together. I have shared this recipe with many and now with a few more. 




Spring Celebration Orzo

8 oz. uncooked orzo
1 pound asparagus spears,  cut into 2” pieces 

1 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 oz. parmesan cheese, grated
1⁄2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. olive oil

3 basil leaves, torn
Optional thing I sometimes like to add:
cherry tomatoes, cut in half
a handful of fresh spinach
a little more parmesan

1. Cook orzo according to direction. When 3 minutes of cooking time remain, add asparagus. Cook 1 minute. Add peas and cook the final 2 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, grate cheese and set aside.
3. Combine salt, lemon juice, and oil. Stir into pasta and vegetables along with torn basil leaves. Stir in grated cheese and tomatoes and spinach. Serve warm or at room temperature. 



Remember, a recipe is a guideline!


If I don't have orzo on hand, I sometimes use another pasta. Penne, bow ties, and rotini have all been successful. The orzo looks tiny, but beware, it grows a bit when you cook it. Eight ounces makes a big bowl full.

When asparagus is out of season or beyond my budget expensive, broccoli is good, instead.

Frozen peas thaw very quickly. I buy them in a bag, measure them out onto a plate when I start cooking and they are good to go when I need them.

My other favorite sister says, "You can never have too much parmesan cheese!" So, use more if you want. Use the big triangle chunk and grate it yourself for the very best.

One evening I found myself without a lemon. Guess what, lime juice tasted good, too.

If I don't have fresh basil I might sprinkle on just a touch of dried or you can skip it altogether if you have kids or picky eaters.

I almost always use the fresh spinach and cherry (or grape) tomatoes. They add color, flavor, and fiber. Tear up the spinach just a little and put it in the bottom of the serving bowl along with the tomatoes. When you add the hot pasta and veggies to the bowl it will warm and slightly cook the spinach and tomatoes just enough to wilt, but not enough get watery.

This is yummy along with some grilled chicken, pork chops, steak or fish. Sometimes I add cooked shrimp at the very end of cooking, for a meal in itself. Or get creative and add strips of cooked meat of your choice. 

Just remember, it's a guideline. Let me know if you like it and let me know about your variations! 

Here are a few of mine ~


Orzo made with asparagus, peas, tomatoes


Orzo with asparagus, peas, tomatoes and shrimp


Orzo with broccoli, tomatoes, and peas











No comments:

Post a Comment