Friday, July 12, 2013

Black Bean and Hominy Salad

I don't recall where I found the recipe for this salad last summer, but I have tweaked it enough that now it is mine. I have forgotten lots of details from last summer, but I remember enough to know this is a great salad! I think it originally came from a magazine, but I'm not sure which one. Whenever I make it someone asks for the recipe. I decided I can kill two birds with one stone if I put it here. I won't have to hunt for the recipe, email it, or remember it on the spot any longer. I can just say, it's on the blog!

Black Bean and Hominy Salad 



1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) hominy, drained and rinsed
1 can Mexican corn, drained
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tsp. honey
2 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all vegetables in a bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, oil, cumin, and salt; pour over vegetables and toss to combine. Yields about 8 servings.

A Few Things I've Learned . . .

Dump the beans into a strainer or colander and let the liquid run off then turn on your faucet or sprayer and rinse the beans until the water runs clear. Rinse the hominy in the same way. This will eliminate some of the sodium as well as the slimy liquid in the can. Much better now. You can rinse the corn if you want, but I simply drain it.

I usually stand at the vegetable isle looking at the hominy in a bewildered way. Should I buy yellow or white. Looking at the nutrition facts didn't help, identical. I always ended up with yellow until my niece Hannah told me she made it with white (after a similar bewildering choice) and found it to be pleasing to the eye. Since then I have always used white and she is right! Pretty! As you can see though, my photo is from the old days when  the hominy was yellow. 

I don't usually measure the tomatoes. I use a couple of handful and I know I often use more than 1 cup. In the summer when tomatoes are ripe in my garden I use any size or shape of tomato I have. Just dice them up, romas, beefsteaks, or whatever. All taste great.

Green pepper adds another color to the mix, but if all I have on hand is yellow, orange or red, that is what I will use. Sometimes I have used all colors. Use what you have.

Likewise, white or yellow onions will work, but red look good, and generally, they are a little more mild in flavor and perfect for salads. If using yellow or white, I put them in the microwave with about a teaspoon of water and cook them for 30 seconds or so to take off some of that strong flavor. When partially cooked the flavor is more mellow.

If you don't like the flavor of cilantro leave it out. If I don't have fresh I use dried, but only 1-2 tablespoons as it is much more concentrated in flavor.

I wear gloves (if I think to do so) when cutting up the jalapeño. I also take out the seeds and the membrane. If you are a heat seeking pepper lover you can leave in the seeds and membrane. Be sure to wash your hands or throw away the gloves before rubbing your eyes!

I often use a 1/2 pint jar with a screw on lid to make the dressing. Put in the ingredients and shake it up.

If I am working ahead of time (even the day before serving) I put all the vegetables except the tomatoes in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. I put the jar of dressing beside it and the next day, add tomatoes, dressing, toss and serve. 

This salad is tasty with burgers, grilled chicken, or any juicy delicious grilled meat. It tastes like summer and it is just as healthy and nutritious as it is yummy and pretty. I hope you like it, too. We had this at our 4th of July feast along with grilled pork chops, a couple of other salads and some holiday food art that you can see below.

Playing with our food . . . 

Last Thanksgiving, knowing we needed some new ways to celebrate, we went on a rampage of turkey themed food art. Christmas time was more of the same but with Christmas trees and Santa Claus. Hmmm, we seem to be creating new traditions and here are our 4th of July attempts at something a little bit new. I think Sam would smile at our new way of doing things. My girls are such troopers, carrying right along with me on this. 

Oh, Say Can You See?


Star Spangled Strawberries

Serve at once or the colors tend to
blend together like this.
Don't forget that good food alway tastes better when shared around the table with those you love. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment