Monday, June 10, 2013

Rhubarb Cake

One of the delights of retirement is enjoying the wonders of springtime. While I was teaching, the month of May was always so hectic that I missed some great things. Some years the lilacs bloomed and the asparagus went to seed before I even realized I had missed it! This year I have missed none of it!

I have used the asparagus and the rhubarb more than any other year. Sam would have loved it. 

Earlier this year I went on a hunt for a rhubarb cake recipe and found one that had wonderful possibilities. After doing some fine tuning and tweaking I was ready to serve it to guests. 

And Here It Is . . .


And Here's The Recipe . . .

Rhubarb Cake

for topping:
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 c. cold butter

for cake:
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. sour cream
3 c. rhubarb



Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour a 9" x 13" pan.

Prepare topping by mixing flour and sugar in a small bowl. Cut the cold butter into 6-8 pieces and mix into the flour and sugar mixture with your fingers. Rub the butter between thumb and fingers. Work the sugar/flour mixture into butter until it is a crumbly mixture. Set aside.

Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs in a smaller bowl and mix in the sour cream. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir together gently and when nearly combined add rhubarb and stir to combine. Spread into prepared pan. Sprinkle on the topping and bake in center of oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. 

Cool on cooling rack. Serve slightly warm or cool. 

And To Make It Even Better . . .


Serve it with some ice cream! I found some Strawberry-Rhubarb ice cream that finishes this off perfectly. I think vanilla would be mighty tasty, but if you can find the Strawberry-Rhubarb, you won't be sorry. You will likely be scraping every little crumb and drop out of your dish! 

I have been tempted to add some cinnamon to the topping, but it is so good this way that I haven't done it. Maybe, next time.

I hope you enjoy this little taste of springtime as much as I do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment