Friday, January 11, 2013

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables! I can't really think of one I don't like and I am always looking for new ways to prepare them. This squash shreds apart into spaghetti like strands once it is baked, hence the name. I have always found it tasty when served with pasta sauce and parmesan cheese. The taste and texture are different than pasta, but it is delicious none the less.




A while back a friend shared a recipe for a Spaghetti Squash Casserole and you can find that recipe if you click on this link

I was had my squash ready . . .


. . . but I found myself without an item, so here's my version of that recipe.


Spaghetti Squash Casserole

1 spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. water
1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
1 cup lowfat 1% cottage cheese
1/2 cup lowfat shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the squash cut side down on parchment and bake for 30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. With a fork, scrape the squash strands into a large bowl.

Meanwhile, place the onion, garlic, basil and water in a small bowl and cover with wax paper. Microwave for 2-3 minutes or until tender.

To the bowl with the squash, add 3/4 cup of the spaghetti sauce, the cottage cheese, mozzarella, parsley, salt and the onion mixture. Stir to mix. Transfer into baking dish. spread with remaining spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.

I Can't Leave Well Enough Alone

The hardest part of cooking spaghetti squash is cutting it in half. So, I usually poke it a few times with a fork; just get the fork through the hard skin. Put it in the microwave for 5 minutes to start the cooking and slightly soften the squash. Then I can more easily cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and continue the oven baking process. If your squash is large it will take longer than 30 minutes to bake. Bake it until a sharp knife goes in easily or until it yields to pressure when you poke on it.

This recipe turned out cheesy and satisfying. I really like the crunch on top. I served it with a piece of tilapia which I cooked on the George Foreman and I added a big salad, even more vegetables. Delicious dinner on a chilly winter night. 



More Food Fun . . .

Yesterday evening I had a fun experience of making some tamales to celebrate a young friend's 13th birthday. His Mom and I seem to think we can do about anything and we drag her children willingly into the fray. We had 5 kids of varying ages and 2 adults with their hands in the dough and wrapping the corn husk packages. The birthday celebration included our tamales with Mexican Rice and green salad. Dessert happened to be brownies and ice cream. Look forward to my next post which might just be the recipe for the brownies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment